SUSTAINABLE VANILLA INITIATIVE
The Sustainable Vanilla Initiative (SVI), hosted by IDH, The Sustainable Trade Initiative, in collaboration with Sustainable Food Lab, aims to promote the long-term stable supply of high quality, safe, natural vanilla, produced in a socially, environmentally and economically sustainable way, benefitting all partners along the value chain.
The SVI is an industry membership forum for companies committed to work on sustainable production in the vanilla industry, with an initial focus on Madagascar, the world’s largest vanilla producing country.
The Sustainable Vanilla Initiative (SVI) will pre-competitively provide:
- A common supply chain and sectoral ambition with clearly defined objectives and strategies and coordinated action plan towards 2020
- A platform for shared learning, dialogue and alignment on key issues, and for developing shared standpoints and strategies needed for sector transformation (in cooperation with the public sector)
- Resources for co-investment to scale supply chain programs and address sector wide precompetitive issues and investments
The goals of the Sustainable Vanilla Initiative are to contribute to:
- Expanding the supply of traceable and sustainably produced vanilla
- Improving incomes and livelihoods of vanilla famers (economic sustainability of producers)
- Stabilizing / improving quality
The initial priorities of the Sustainable Vanilla Initiative strategy will be to contribute to these goals by supporting companies to scale successful supply chain partnership programs, where needed to invest in pre-competitive programs that complement the company led programs, and to improve sector governance, bringing a clear and organized industry voice and support to Madagascar to work in public-private cooperation.
For more information, contact Don Seville at email@example.com
The current international members of the Sustainable Vanilla Initiative include: Authentic Products, Barry Callebaut, DeMonchy Natural Products, Firmenich, Frontier Coop, General Mills, Givaudan, Mane, McCormick, Nestle, Nielsen Massy, Prova, Silver Spoon, Symrise, Unilever, and Virginia Dare.